Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Puppy Love, Redux

Well, it's happened. We finally got a puppy. Her name is Beckett and she's an 8-week-old Golden Retriever. She is so sweet, so cute, so...

I might as well be honest, she's hell on wheels. It's like having a toddler with sharp teeth running around the house. Luckily, like a toddler, she goes all out and then passes out for an hour so I have a chance to sweep up the wreckage.

Since I swore I would train this dog, that we would do everything "right" so that she'd be a well-mannered dog, I'm in a bit of a panic. I've read the books, spent hours online, and still this pup is a handful. The kids won't come down off the ceiling because she uses them as chew toys.

At least she's somewhat housetrained - I can count the number of potty accidents on one hand, with a few fingers left over. And she'll sleep in her crate at night. The rest of it, I suspect, is just normal puppy energy run amok. I'd forgotten how much attention a toddler needs - especially a toddler with razor-sharp incisors.

But she is awfully cute. I'll post the photos to prove it soon.

No comments: