Thursday, January 17, 2008

So long, Tree Top Toys

My local toy store, Tree Top Toys, is closing its doors. The owners are retiring and moving to Costa Rica, so they've got happy days ahead. But I'm sad about the closure, for a few reasons.

First, for purely selfish reasons. I hate going to Toys R Us or Target to buy toys. There's too much (crappy plastic) stuff, they're too far away so I have to face traffic, and if for some reason I have my children with me we all get overwhelmed. It's not fun. Tree Top was right around the corner, had a nice selection of good quality toys for all ages and best of all they gift wrapped! For free!

Second, it's just more evidence of the larger trend of small independent businesses facing extinction. This is a real concern for me, as my husband owns an independent bike shop and it's his salary that puts food on our table, and the tables of his employees. When you spend your money there you aren't lining the pockets of big-time CEOs and corporate shareholders, you're supporting families in your neighborhood.

The experience is just not the same when you have to drive to the mall to shop. I like buying from my neighbors. I like running into people I know at the local bookstore or neighborhood pet supply shop. I like that I can conduct almost all of my business within a 3-mile radius. It's good for the community, it's good for the economy, it's good for the environment and it's good for me.

So next time you drive past a little local independent business on your way to Target or Wal-Mart, think about stopping in. It's something small you can do to keep your community strong.

No comments: