Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Afloat



One of the challenges of being a parent, for me, is always being "on." Even when I manage a weekend getaway with my husband or with friends, a part of me is still with my kids. My cell phone is never off, and I call to check in frequently.


It's hard to truly disconnect.


That's one reason I really treasure my annual kayaking trip in the San Juan Islands. I go with a group of smart, funny women (all moms, like me) and a gem of a guide, Sharmon. We camp on an uninhabited island, and spend 3 days hiking, paddling, and replenshing our souls. Cell phone service is spotty, at best. My family knows they won't be getting updates from me, and their stories and questions will have to wait until I'm back on terra firma.


When we launch our boats at the start of the trip, I feel like I can leave my life on shore. There is something elemental about being afloat, surrounded by a bigger world. And kayaks are the perfect vessel. I am not on the water, I'm in it. I am of it.


June approaches - just a little over a month and I'll be dipping my paddle into the cool water. I like knowing that I'll be reaching my destination under my own power, and that's the only way I'll get home again. It reminds me that I can do anything I set out to do. Especially when I'm in the company of strong women.


The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.
~Isak Dinesen

No comments: