Friday, May 11, 2007

A little potty talk

I thought my potty training days were over once my two sons were out of diapers. Boy, was I wrong.

I don’t know if I missed it on the first go-round, or what, but I find myself having to re-train my kids, this time in “potty manners.” As the only female in the house, it’s an uphill battle. Close the door. Flush. Close the lid. Raise the seat. No, raise it, then put it down and close the lid when you’re done. And don’t forget to flush. And wash your hands. Did you wash your hands?

My kids are now 5 and 8. It has been years since I changed a diaper. But I’m thinking of going back to my tried & true tricks of encouragement to get my boys to work on their aim. Cheerios as targets in the toilet, perhaps. A treat for remembering to put the lid down. Maybe a quarter every time they manage to use the bathroom without spraying the walls.

I have brothers. I thought I was prepared for this. But it still annoys me when I go into their bathroom and sit on a wet (ick!!) seat. So I’m back to potty training.

No comments: